Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Lesson learned...

We are having an average day..... my two boys age 5.5 and 8 were playing star wars. They start off quite good and then suddenly things turn and someone is in tears. It is always my youngest. My older son had said he was "stupid" ( a big no no in my house!). I split them up ... one in timeout and one to calm down. I started talking to my youngest " Reesie what do we know about you??" he looked away trying to scan his brain for the words . " I like star wars " " Well , yes you do, but lets think..... we know that you are very smart." He got bright eyed, " Well yes I am actually." ( they both love to say actually after any statement, how cute). " So when someone says your stupid we know this is not true, right?", " If we choose to believe them, then this makes us very upset. However if we choose to believe our truth, what they say does not matter.". I ended with " Only you have the power to change the way you feel ". I started thinking, hmmm so often I find myself believing the truth of others rather than my own. I think we all can get trapped in defining ourselves by what we are right now rather than who or what we strive to be. Challenge today: Find your truth...... choose to believe it. For those that find their truth to be difficult..... choose to change.

Talk to you soon,

Courtney

1 comment:

e.beck.artist said...

actually, all my children tend to START sentences with actually ..... and your boy is going to be just fine with such smart parenting from you .....